Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Humility Amidst Criticism


Francis once called together many friars and said to them, “I have asked the Lord that he would show me when I am his servant.  The most gracious Lord answered me, ‘I know that you are truly my servant when you think, speak and do holy things.’  Therefore I have called you, brothers, and have shown this to you that I may be put to shame before you when you see me lacking in any of these things.”
                        -Mirror of Perfection Section IV, Chapter 74


The true leader of God must invite and be open to critique.  A great church leader I have known would always, when he was criticized, no matter how petty or narrow minded the complaint, would always respond, "Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I will pray about it and consider it."  And he would.  

I wish I had such humility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment