Friday, September 16, 2011

More Alms Than Necessary


Francis was used to say these words to his brothers, “I have never been a thief concerning alms, in getting them or using them beyond necessity.  Always have I taken less than I needed, lest I should defraud other poor folk of their portion, for to do the contrary would have been theft.”
                        -Section II, Chapter 12



For Francis, to accept more provision than is necessary is theft.  In this way, Francis was deeply concerned about integrity.  And he recognizes that the alm that goes to him would not be given to another poor person.  However, I would disagree with Francis on this point.  I would say that for those who are in the act of continually giving to those in need, the Lord would continually provide in excess for them, so that they might provide for others who are poor as well.  Thus, in the Lord, poverty could be wealth, if the one who is poor continues to provide for others.  The only theft would be to take the excess God granted and keep it for yourself.  For God does not provide excess except that it be a loan which is to be given back to God’s people, the poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment